Information for non-enrolled students and applicants for study

What you need to know if you want to spend some time abroad as a student.

Health insurance is essential

If you want to study in Germany, health insurance is required. Without health insurance, you cannot be matriculated. An appropriate proof needs to be submitted for the enrollment at a German university and for the application for a residence permit. Please take care of your health insurance in good time before beginning your studies, preferably as soon as possible after arriving in Germany.

In Germany there are two kinds of health insurance schemes for students: statutory health insurance for matriculated students and private health insurance for all other types of students. The statutory health insurance offers good benefits and is fairly inexpensive for students. Every student who has the opportunity to be admitted to the statutory health insurance should make use of this option. A private health insurance like EDUCARE24 is always useful in cases where statutory health insurance is not possible.

Health insurance for students without full matriculation

If you participate in a language course, a summer university or preparatory college, if you take other preparatory courses, complete an internship, or simply enter Germany prior to the study period, you are generally not fully matriculated. Insurance through a statutory health insurance is therefore not possible. In this case EDUCARE24 is the appropriate insurance protection.

Health insurance during professional studies

When starting your professional studies, you can and should conclude statutory health insurance. Until reaching the age of 30, you are subject to obligatory insurance during your professional studies. Despite the possibility to release yourself from the contributions of a compulsory insurance, we strongly advise not to do so. If you have been insured through EDUCARE24 up to the beginning of your study period, we will be happy to assist you with the change to a statutory health insurance scheme. Please contact us in good time prior to the start of your professional studies.

Students from the age of 30 cannot take out public student health insurance. We recommend our comprehensive cover EDUCARE24 XL for the complete duration of your stay.

With some countries, such as members of the European Union and the European Economic Area, Germany has a social security agreement. If you have public health insurance at home, you can get this insurance coverage approved by a public health insurance company in Germany and be released from the compulsory insurance. Please make sure, however, to verify in your home country which documents you will need to take with you. For students this is usually a European health insurance card (EHIC).

Higher education entrance qualification and knowledge of German

To study at a German university, you need a higher education entrance qualification. In general, anyone with an international university degree is permitted to study in Germany. However, recognition of your education certificate depends on certain requirements. Please go to the homepage of the Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen to find out if your education certificate is recognized as a higher education entrance qualification in Germany.

In order to be admitted to an international study program in Germany, you will also need to present evidence of adequate knowledge of German.

Visa requirement and residence permit

If you want to travel to Germany as an international student, you might need a visa. This depends on the country of origin and on the duration of your stay. Please inform yourself in good time about the documents you need so that you have enough time to compile them. For further information about visa requirements, you can contact the German embassy or the German consulate in your home country. The German Foreign Office offers detailed information about this.

If you travel to Germany with a visa and plan to stay for a longer period of time, you will also need a residence permit. The competent authority in this case is the Foreigners' Registration Office in your German place of residence.

Proof of financing

Before you begin your studies, you need to prove that you have enough money to finance your stay. You will either need to present such proof when applying for a visa or - at the latest - when applying for a residence permit. Usually the amount required each year is nearly €10,000. Proof of financing can be shown in different ways: Your parents can submit appropriate statements of income and assets. Someone living in Germany can guarantee that he will bear the costs for you. The amount can be deposited as security onto a blocked account. You can provide a bank guarantee or receive a scholarship. By European standards studying in Germany is not very expensive. We recommend, however, that you inform yourself about the costs you should expect.

During the EDUCARE24 insurance period

Should you need medical treatment during your stay abroad, we will be happy to assist you. You can call us and we will explain what you need to know when visiting a doctor abroad. You will also find all the details in our section What to do in the event of a claim or in our overview Procedure in the event of a claim. In addition, accidents and emergency treatments are covered worldwide and in your home country during holidays with a duration of up to 6 weeks.

Side jobs

It is of no importance to EDUCARE24 insurance coverage if you have a side job in addition to your primary cause of residence. You should, however, clarify with your employer if such a side job is subject to social insurance contributions.

Deportation costs insurance

In case of an officially ordered deportation of the visitor, the insurance policy covers the incurring costs up to €4,000 if claims are made against the host. Unlike former policies, the current deportation costs policy also provides coverage after the expiration of insurance if the visitor, against all expectations, has not left the Federal Republic of Germany.

After your stay abroad

You should always keep your insurance certificate since the authorities in a number of home countries require proof of insurance for the time spent abroad.

Do you require advice?
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us:

Phone: +49 2247 9194-986


Mon-Fri: 8 am to 6 pm 

Telegram Messenger Reviews with