Information for foreign language students, adult education students and interns

What you need to know if you want to spend some time abroad as language student or an intern/trainee.

Health insurance

If you would like to visit Germany for further education programs, health insurance is required. Please consider the following special characteristics:

  • Before your departure, you will need an insurance for the duration of your stay abroad for the visa issuance.
  • Starting with the date of entry up to the beginning of your professional studies, you will need a private health insurance. You are planning to visit a preparatory course to learn the German language, or you need to visit a language course in Germany before you can start your studies? During this period you are not considered a student, but a language student.
  • From the beginning of your professional studies, you will need a statutory health insurance for students.

EDUCARE24 meets all visa requirements and offer suitable insurance coverage for the period before your professional studies.

Visa requirement and residence permit

If you want to travel to Germany as a foreign language student, adult education student and trainee, you might need a visa. This depends on the country of origin and on the duration of your stay. Please inform yourself in good time about the documents you need so that you have enough time to compile them. For further information about visa requirements, you can contact the German embassy or the German consulate in your home country. The German Foreign Office offers detailed information about this.

If you travel to Germany with a visa and plan to stay for a longer period of time, you will also need a residence permit. The competent authority in this case is the Foreigners' Registration Office in your German place of.

Proof of financing

For visa application you need to prove that you have enough money to finance your stay. You will either need to present such proof when applying for a visa or - at the latest - when applying for a residence permit. Usually the amount required each year is nearly €10,000. Proof of financing can be shown in different ways: Your parents can submit appropriate statements of income and assets. Someone living in Germany can guarantee that he will bear the costs for you. The amount can be deposited as security onto a blocked account. You can provide a bank guarantee or receive a scholarship. By European standards studying in Germany is not very expensive. We recommend, however, that you inform yourself about the costs you should expect.

During the EDUCARE24 insurance period

Should you need medical treatment during your stay abroad, we will be happy to assist you. You can call us and we will explain what you need to know when visiting a doctor abroad. You will also find all the details in our section What to do in the event of a claim or in our overview Procedure in the event of a claim. In addition, accidents and emergency treatments are covered worldwide and in your home country during holidays with a duration of up to 6 weeks.

Side jobs

It is of no importance to EDUCARE24 insurance coverage if you have a side job in addition to your primary cause of residence. You should, however, clarify with your employer if such a side job is subject to social insurance contributions.

Deportation costs insurance

In case of an officially ordered deportation of the visitor, the insurance policy covers the incurring costs up to €4,000 if claims are made against the host. Unlike former policies, the current deportation costs policy also provides coverage after the expiration of insurance if the visitor, against all expectations, has not left the Federal Republic of Germany.

After your stay abroad

You should always keep your insurance certificate since the authorities in a number of home countries require proof of insurance for the time spent abroad.

Do you require advice?
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us:

Phone: +49 2247 9194-986


Mon-Fri: 8 am to 6 pm 

Telegram Messenger Reviews with