Information for guest scientists

The combination of EDUCARE24 and our private comprehensive health insurance Provisit Science is the perfect solution for your stay in Germany as a guest scientist.

Health insurance

To work in Germany, you need health insurance. Universities can accept your proof of health insurance if the extent of coverage is equivalent to the coverage provided by a German statutory health insurance.

If your family joins you, the members of your family need to have health insurance for their stay in Germany, too. Germany has concluded social insurance agreements with some countries, including the member states of the European Union and the European Economic Area. If your home country belongs to these states, the statutory health insurance of your home country is valid in Germany as well.

Visa requirement and residence permit

If you want to travel to Germany as a guest scientist, you might need a visa. As soon as you have received the admission of a German university, you can apply for a visa at the German embassy or a German consulate in your home country. The German Foreign Office offers detailed information about this.

If you travel to Germany with a visa and plan to stay for a longer period of time, you will also need a residence permit. The competent authority in this case is the Foreigners' Registration Office in your German place of residence.

Your family joins you

There are some regulations and formalities you will need to comply with if your family wants to join you during your stay in Germany. If you have a residence permit, your spouse and children under the age of 16 will be allowed to join you without any restrictions.

Children who have reached the age of 16 need to have adequate knowledge of German in order to be allowed to join you. The authorized duration of the stay of accompanying family members depends on the duration of your residence permit. However, your family will only be allowed to join you if you have sufficient financial means and enough housing space for both yourself and the accompanying family members.

Depending on the country of origin, accompanying family members who want to have a job in Germany need a work permit. To apply for a work permit, you can contact a German consulate before leaving your home country.

EDUCARE24 & Provisit Science

Many guests who come to Germany arrive before their job has officially started, for example to look for accommodation or for a language course. With EDUCARE24 you are well covered for the time you have not yet officially started your job as a visiting scientist.

As an additional insurance, EDUCARE24 is also recommended if you have health insurance through your home insurance during your work as a visiting scientist, because this usually does not cover medical repatriation, among other things.

During your employment as a visiting scientist, we recommend Provisit Science, provided your insurance status allows you to choose between statutory and private health insurance.

Do you require advice?
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us:

Phone: +49 2247 9194-986


Mon-Fri: 8 am to 6 pm 

Telegram Messenger Reviews with